Matters of family law, such as spousal support, child custody, and debates about how property should be divided in a divorce, are often highly emotional. Even when the family members are willing to work together, legal issues can disrupt the flow of day-to-day life and wreak havoc on the finances of all involved parties.
You can dramatically reduce the time, stress, and cost involved in a family law matter by hiring a skilled attorney with extensive experience in your particular area of need. The Honolulu family law attorneys at The Sands Law Group, APLC can help.
Family Law Lawyers in Oahu and Honolulu, Hawaii
The term family law encompasses all legal matters faced by families, from divorce, child custody, and adoption, to domestic abuse. Whatever your area of need, the highly-skilled, compassionate family law team at The Sands Law Group, APLC will work with you to develop the most effective legal strategy for your unique needs.
Because we believe that everyone should have access to exceptional legal representation, we offer elite, unbundled services at an affordable rate. In addition, our bilingual staff can provide services in Arabic, Spanish, French, Hebrew, and English, ensuring that language barriers are never a barrier to legal representation. Contact the Honolulu family law attorneys at The Sands Law Group APLC today for a confidential consultation about your case.
Our Honolulu Family Law Practice Areas
At The Sands Law Group, APLC, we handle all family law matters, from child custody to spousal support.
We commonly represent clients in cases involving:
- Divorce—The dissolution of marriage can be an extremely stressful, costly process. But it doesn’t have to be. With the help of an experienced divorce attorney, the process can be significantly less expensive and painful. Even amicable divorces can quickly become complicated when unforeseen issues arise over child custody, support payments, or the division of the family home. Although do-it-yourself divorces exist, they often result in more stress, more time lost, and more money spent. A minor mistake or oversight can easily become a major disaster. At the very least, it is wise to have an experienced divorce attorney review your divorce agreement before moving forward.
- Child Custody—Determining the custody arrangement for children when parents decide to end their relationship is often the most emotional and frustrating part of the separation. Furthermore, the laws surrounding child custody in both Hawaii and California are quite complicated. It is essential to have a child custody attorney help you navigate this challenging process.
- Child Support—Children have the right to be financially supported by both parents in Hawaii and California, and child support payments aim to ensure that this right is fulfilled. The amount of these payments is calculated based on multiple factors, including the income of both parents, the child custody arrangement, the number and age of the children, and the needs of each child.
- Spousal Support—Formally referred to as alimony, spousal support is sometimes paid by the higher-earning spouse to allow the lower-earning spouse to maintain the standard of living they were accustomed to during the course of the marriage.
- Property Division—When it comes to the division of property, Hawaii is known as an equitable distribution state, which means that non-economic contributions, such as the contribution of a parent who puts their career on hold to raise the children, will be considered in property division calculations. Although this may translate to a 50/50 split, that is certainly not always the case.
- Prenuptial Agreements—A prenuptial agreement, often referred to as a prenup, is a legal document that protects the spouses’ income and assets from being subjected to the default property division rules of a California or Hawaii divorce. As long as the prenup follows state guidelines and laws, and is deemed to be voluntarily drafted, it will be enforceable upon the dissolution of marriage.
How a Honolulu Family Attorney Can Help
It’s a common misconception that certain family law matters can be easily managed without a lawyer. This unfortunate idea gave rise to the do-it-yourself divorce and other online legal services, which use the promise of a quick, cheap resolution to lure people in. But without skilled legal counsel, even seemingly straightforward matters, such as amicable divorces, can quickly take a disastrous turn. When issues arise, lack of legal knowledge can make an otherwise straightforward matter quite complicated (a.k.a expensive). Whether your situation seems simple or complex, it is always in your best interest to work with an experienced Honolulu family lawyer.
Your attorney should thoroughly review your unique situation, determine the best legal strategy for moving forward, and employ mediation or a collaborative approach whenever possible. Legal matters including divorce, spousal support, child support, and the division of marital property can be stressful and emotional on the surface, but they are even more complex below the surface, where issues like federal and state taxation, civil procedure, evidence codes, and deferred compensation may come into play. Family law is a complex and constantly evolving area of the law, and having a skilled family law attorney by your side can make or break your desired outcome.
Contact Our Compassionate Honolulu Family Law Lawyers Today
Whether you are just at the beginning stages of considering divorce, you need assistance with a child support modification, or you are a victim of domestic abuse, the skilled legal team at The Sands Law Group, APLC can help. Our experienced, compassionate family lawyers have protected the rights and best interests of countless individuals and families, and we will remain by your side from start to finish. Don’t go through this challenging process without solid legal counsel. Contact our Honolulu office today at (808) 466-3667 for a confidential consultation about your case.